FAQs – Best of IBS Awards
- September 12: Entry process opens
- November 18: Deadline for entries
- November 28 – December 9: Preliminary judging takes place (finalists selected)
- Mid December – Early January: Finalists and non-winners notified via email regarding the status of their entry(ies)
- January 31 – February 1: Onsite judging takes place
- February 2: Winners announced at the 2023 Best of IBS™ Awards ceremony during the 2023 International Builders' Show in Las Vegas.
Do I have to be an IBS exhibitor to apply?
Do I have to be an NAHB member to apply?
Can a KBIS or NHS exhibitor apply?
Can I enter a product that was previously entered in a prior year?
Yes, but keep in mind that innovation is one of the judging criteria.
Can I enter the same product in more than one category?
Yes, your product can be entered into two Best of IBS™ Awards categories.
My product won’t be available for sale until the middle of 2023. Can I still enter the Best of IBS™ Awards?
If your product is being displayed at IBS as part of your regular exhibit, you may enter the 2023 Best of IBS™ Awards. The judges must be able to visit any product that is being entered into the 2023 Best of IBS™ Awards, as part of the judging process. Only those exhibitors named as finalists will be visited by the judges.
Do you accept entries from outside the United States?
Yes. Entries from companies outside the U.S. are welcome to submit, as long as the company is an exhibitor in the 2023 International Builders' Show.
How much does it cost to submit my application(s)?
All Best of IBS™ product entries are free.
The 2023 Best of IBS™ Awards categories available to apply for are:
- Best Energy Efficient Product
- Best Home Software Product
- Best Home Technology Product
- Best Indoor Product
- Best Kitchen & Bath Product
- Best Outdoor Product
- Best Window & Door Product
- Most Innovative Building Material
- Most Innovative Construction Tool
Can I change my entry to a different category after submitting?
Yes, you may change your entry to a different category until November 18, 2022, by contacting Lauren Wallace at [email protected] or 202.266.8205. It's important to point out that we cannot move the entry to a different category once the judging process starts.
What should I do if I'm not sure which category best fits my entry?
Enter your product in the category you feel is most appropriate.
What type of photos are requested in the application?
We are looking for professional-quality color photos. The photos may be used in social media, on the Best of IBS™ Awards web page, in post-show PR, etc.
Do I need to include high-resolution images with my entry?
The application form will accept a maximum file size of 2 MB per photo. If we need a higher resolution photo, we will contact the entrant.
Is there a photo release form?
Yes. You cannot complete the application without agreeing to the terms and conditions (see entry form) governing the uploaded content.
Are product entries anonymous?
No, but the judges are required to keep all product information confidential until the first day of the show, when we announce product names. Prior to the show, we only announce the company names of the products that are finalists.
How are the winners selected?
Judging is conducted by an expert panel of builders, remodelers and other industry professionals, as well as industry media, from across the country. There are three judges assigned to each of the above categories (total of approx. 24-27 judges).
Judges designate finalists prior to the show and then visit all finalists in their assigned category at the show, on January 31 and February 1. Judges will be designated by a special ribbon to alert the exhibitor staff when they are visiting the exhibitor’s booth to see the exhibitor’s entry.
The judges will select one winner in each of the nine categories and one of the category winners will receive the Best in Show™ Award.
- Innovation – The product is either new (this type of product has never been offered) or has been significantly changed and would be deemed a game-changer in its product class.
- Functionality – The product will be well-used by the builder in/for their business or the consumer in their daily lives.
- Good Design – The product has clean lines and is intelligently attractive for its purpose.
- Builder/Consumer Friendly – The product will help the builder solve a specific issue, help them add to their bottom line and/or helps solve a specific problem for the consumer/will be a product that a consumer is excited about having in their home.
Hints & Tips
- Be sure your product description makes it clear why your product is better than the competition's.
- Be concise in your product description.
- For your product's website, be sure to provide a direct link to the product page on your website; don't just provide a link to your company's website home page. Due to the number of entries, the judges won't take the time to search around your website to find the entered product.
- For the BEST ENERGY EFFICIENT CATEGORY, if your product has 3rd-party testing verification, be sure to mention that in the description.
What if I start my submission and cannot complete it?
Entries must be completed before submittal; otherwise your work will be lost. Completed entries must be received on or before November 18, 2022.
Who do I contact if I have questions while submitting?
Contact Lauren Wallace at [email protected] or 202-266-8205.
Can I mail my application?
In an effort to be environmentally friendly, cost-effective and more efficient, we will only accept electronic entries.
What are the benefits of winning a Best of IBS Award?
- Included in pre-show marketing to increase booth traffic.
- Included in the Best of IBS™ Awards online search.
- Highlighted in a national press release to industry media prior to IBS.
- Highlighted on BuildersShow.com throughout the year.
- Marketing tool kit and engraved trophy to highlight your win.
- Best of IBS™ Awards ad in IBS Official Show Guide
All WINNERS (All FINALISTS benefits, plus):
- Recognized on NAHB and IBS blogs and IBS social media channels.
- Featured in a national press release to industry media post-show.
For more information about this item, please contact Lauren Wallace at 800-368-5242 x8205 or via email at [email protected].